Sunday, August 15, 2010

Scott Pilgrim Review

When we arrived at the theatre we ran into some of the fine folks who were at Gen Con with us. It was like an unofficial and accidental Gen Con one week anniversary party in the parking lot of the mall.

If you've been reading reviews online then you've probably heard many claims about Scott Pilgrim from folks who have not seen the movie. These range from decrying it as hipster, hating Michael Cera, and claiming that no one over 23/24 will like the movie. Well, I'm not a hipster, but I can tell you right now that this movie has nothing in it about being a hipster and misusing irony. Michael Cera is in it and does a great job. Finally, I'm well over the age range for liking this movie and I LOVED it. We were in a group of people that included two of us who had read the graphic novels and loved them and three people who had not read it. We all loved it. We were all over the age range too!

This is one of the few movies that I think completely utilizes and pushes to the extreme the strengths of film. There isn't a second wasted, nor is there a corner of the film that isn't adding visually to the story. Everything works together perfectly in this movie. The sound effects, acting, story, music, special effects, and editing work together in deliriously awesome harmony to produce what I think is one of the best movies ever made.

Go. See it. Repeat.

1 comment:

  1. I loved this movie too!!! I read the comic just hours before watching the movie and they did a really good job of staying true to the source and it was really funny :) I def recommend it

    ReplyDelete