Friday, July 23, 2010

It's Fishnet Friday!

The return of Futurama has been most welcome in my circle of friends. I missed the weird mix of pop-culture colliding with that twisted view of the Future. I've also always loved the plethora of references in the show from gaming to sci-fi. Sometimes they've been heavy-handed, but there are always layers of more subtle and even funnier allusions hidden in many episodes.

I caught up to some of the new stories last night including "Proposition Infinity" in which our intrepid crew come to terms with and then try to legalize robosexual marriage. While a clear indictment of Prop 8 in a futuristic setting the writers managed to bring their own special skewering of the situation.

This isn't the first instance of a character in Fishnets in the wonderful world of New New York, but our friend at the Pride Rally pops up quite a few times.

When I started this blog I knew that the one thing I wanted to do for sure was to post a Fishnet Friday segment as often as possible as inspired by a very awesome friend of mine, Etyhl Violet. Fishnets have featured heavily in my wardrobe for many years and I just really like the way they can transform a look and add a touch of rebellion. Little did I know that I would have fishnets appear constantly! I guess they were always there in the dark and geeky things I love.


Ghost and horse marriage is legal!

Finally, I'll end this post with a reference from the episode that aside from the line "Mama said Spock you out" was a fun little nod:

1 comment:

  1. I think Amy wore fishnets once. Then again, I could just be imagining that. Hehe!

    ReplyDelete