Thursday, June 24, 2010

Power Girl 13 Review, Zatanna 2, and Supergirl 53


Power Girl 13 ushers in a new team, Winick and Basri taking over for Jimmy Palmiotti, Justin Gray and Amanda Conner. Amanda Conner's art was truly exceptional and I enjoyed every moment of her Power Girl books. I'm not alone in feeling like the fans have lost something. The feel of Power Girl has changed with this new issue. However, it is clear to me that the Winick and Basri have tried to continue some of the vibe created by the previous writers and artist.

As you can see by this moment from the first page amidst scenes of Kara at work and dressed as Power Girl fighting crime we get a moment with Terra watching TV. Yet, in the next moment we learn that all of that has changed. Right away they want us to know that this is a new Power Girl and they signal that change very abruptly, but set the stage for what will happen throughout the rest of the story.

Probably the biggest changes in terms of art aside from the obvious different take on faces is the coloring. It's a mix of soft, bright and subdued. The comic fan in me desperately missed Conner's take on everything, but the Literature student in me tried to keep reading with analysis in mind. Change happens. The art is beautiful, but it's different. I'm not pleased with what happened at the end of the story, but we have to see what the next issue brings.

Meanwhile, Zatanna's second issue came out and I decided to pick up Super Girl as well and I'm so happy that I did.

Zatanna and Supergirl both suffer from some terrible nightmares in their respective issue. Dreaming is such a rich trope for writers, but it can go wrong. I'm pleased to say that both issues handle it well.


Zatanna in the shadowy image about to sleep and perchance to dream? Supergirl in the second picture waking up from a nightmare.

Both of these books ended with some incredible
moments and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next.

No comments:

Post a Comment