Saturday, August 11, 2012

Companion Cube Cake: Gluten Free and Vegan!

This weekend two wonderful women are getting married! One of the bride's is gluten-free, like me. A few months ago we were at a big gamer birthday party and taking shots of vodka when the subject of her civil union celebration came up. I immediately offered to make her "groom's" cake, a Portal Companion Cube.

Having never made a decorated cake before in my life and not being a huge baker did not give me pause. I've taken a lot of crafting courses over the years and am comfortable working with a variety of tools. There was no question in my mind it would be a challenge, but I felt with the right planning I could do it.

Over the weeks I collected four boxes of gluten-free cake mix. Chocolate. Of course! I purchased four disposable 8x8 cake pans. Then I ordered the fondant and got supplies for icing. To get the shapes I wanted I bought a heart cookie cutter and a cross. The cross was incredibly useful to create the corner pieces. In the end the heart was only useful for the top piece. I needed smaller hearts for the sides. For the circles on the companion cube I ended up using a wine glass and for the large, top circle I used the lid from a container of Smart Balance.


Here's the cake! I simplified the design, leaving out the pink lines and the smaller corner pieces. To be honest I was worried about ruining the silver icing color and did not have the right tool to pipe out icing. Each cake inside has a layer of icing between it and the next cake and there's icing on the outside to hold the fondant to the side.

I used Ener-G egg Replacer to replace the three eggs per cake that the recipe called for. It worked beautifully, as usual.

So, rest tight little cube. You'll be decimated soon! Muhahahah!



No comments:

Post a Comment